Sewing machines are one of the most common appliances for Indian housewife, cause it used in various tasks of sewing, stitching, altering clothes. Which is crucial to have in some situations cause nobody wants to go the tailor for every small task.
Not only this If one is passionate about fashion designing or dress designing than electronic sewing machine is a must-have appliance for them. Why electronic? It’s just because It’s way better than traditional sewing machines in terms of functions and usability.
Gone those days when one has to strain his/her legs to complete the sewing tasks, nowadays modern sewing machines can do the same job with much lesser effort. Some of the best sewing machines also offer foot presser or foot paddle for professional users who can’t change the habit of using a foot while sewing.
Types of Sewing Machines
Technically there are four types of sewing machines available in the market Mechanical, Electronic, Computerized, and overlocker. Each one has its own benefits over others; the selection of them also depends upon the kind of usage you are expecting from your sewing machine.
Mechanical Sewing Machine – It’s the most basic type of sewing machine, also known as a traditional sewing machine. It uses a mechanical wheel to stitch across different fabrics; the wheel can be run through hand or foot paddle. The pros of this kind of machines are they are way more durable & affordable than other types of the sewing machine. But at the same time, it doesn’t have inbuilt stitches or any advanced features like electronic machines.
Electronic Sewing Machine – It is most likely to fit for every home or professional use, cause the electronic sewing machine comes in dozens of stitching options & other features. It operates purely on electric power with just click of a button; for comfort, the electronic foot paddle can also be attached.
Mostly they have a more portable & lightweight design with ease in carrying and handling while operating. The price is slightly on the higher end but entirely deserves the investment if you want to show your skills in sewing clothes.
Computerized Sewing Machine – It has more control as compared to the electronic machines, which can be connected to the internet for safety. It gives more customizable stitching options for professional & bulky productions. These kinds of machines are costly and suited for professional usage like textile industries where garments are designed. So, don’t get deep into its qualities if you are looking for a sewing machine for home use.
Sergers – The sergers or overlocker is a specialized type of sewing machine that produces overlock stitches to sew over one or two pieces of cloth, most suitable to make garments. It uses 4-5 threads instead of just 2-3 and has way more stitching speed than other sewing machines.
After knowing all this, you might want to check what are the best sewing machines that are in trend with the best possible features at suitable rates.
Best Sewing Machines in India
1. Usha Janome Automatic Stitch Magic Sewing Machine
Usha is one of the most trusted sewing machine companies ever, and now it comes up with the Janome series of automatic machines. If one is looking for the best sewing machine loaded with lots of functions, then he/she should get this one, It’s our best pick in the list.
It’s loaded with thirteen built-in stitches to do various kinds of stitching as per needs, such as stretch stitching, button fixing, rolled hemming, satin stitch, zip fixing. The Stitch Magic also has features of automatic threading in needle, automatic thread cutter to make sure you don’t have to waste your time in putting the thread in the needle.
Considering portability, a carrying handle is given on the top, but the machine weights more than usual as It has 10.1kg mentioned by the manufacturer. So, keep that in mind; In case you’re looking for a more lightweight option than checking other models such as wonder stitch.
- It has thirteen built–in-stitches including buttonhole stitch with triple strength stitch for thick fabric like jeans.
- There are two dials for the pattern and stitch length adjustments and have a free arm for ease of circular stitching.
- Supports functions like automatic threading, thread cutter, etc.
2. Usha Janome Wonder Stitch Automatic Zig-Zag Electric Sewing Machine
Usha wonder stitch is one of the most stylish sewing machines with its lightweight properties. Two dials are given in front to select the stitch type & length with selector pattern to help you out on this.
It has thirteen built-in stitches and twenty-one stitch functions, including stretch stitching, button fixing, rolled hemming, smocking, blind stitch hemming, and zip fixing, which makes it a fully-features loaded machine.
It gives the maximum sewing speed of 860 SPM, which can be considered as pretty good. The floral pattern on white color is just like a cherry on the cake and makes it more likely to buy for the customers.
- Zigzag sewing machine with a free arm for circular stitch option
- It has built-in needle threader, drop feed for embroidery, triple strength stitch, Auto tripping bobbin system and light with switch
- Two-year warranty with the product ensures the reliability of the product
3. Singer 8280 Sewing Machine
The singer 8280 has 7 Built-In Stitch Patterns and 24 Stitch Functions with Free Arm For Circular Stitching to satisfy all your sewing needs. It also has built-in light with a switch to get more focus on the sewing operations.
The variable needs position gives freedom to adjust the needle for individual projects. The core of the machine made of the heavy-duty metal frame to provide long-lasting & durable performance; perhaps the outer body is made of plastic for a better finish.
- Changing presser feet in seconds and In-built thread cutter in presser bar
- 7 Built-In Stitch Patterns and 24 Stitch Functions
- Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
- Oscillating Shuttle Mechanism
4. Usha Janome Dream Stitch Automatic Zig-Zag Electric Sewing Machine
Usha Dream stitch is one of the most popular & bestselling sewing machine. It’s beautifully designed with a single dial and purple color; perhaps it has only seven stitching options, but it seems perfect in lower budget options.
If you’re looking for a sewing machine under 7k INR, then nothing can beat this in terms of features, build quality and performance. With the sewing speed of 860 SPM, you’re always ready to perform your best in less amount of time. One can conclude that It’s simply the best sewing machine for home use cause it is designed in such a way to serve that.
- Seven stitching options with a dial for pattern selection
- It also has 14 applications including lace fixing, quilting, smocking, zip fixing and rolled hemming
- Four-step buttonholing
- Auto tripping bobbin system; drop feed for embroidery; automatic needle threading; sewing light
- Along with its lightweight & compact design, it also has a free arm for circular stitching
5. Brother GS 2700 Sewing Machine
Brother is another great option to have in sewing machine brands. It has quite differently designed as compared to others, maybe cause its imported product, the brand is more popular in other countries.
Talking about specifications, it has twenty-seven built-in stitches and one-step buttonholes, which is really impressive. It has one large dial to select the various type of stitching options. Stitching width can be adjusted up to 5 mm, not more than that. It doesn’t have any drop feed for embroidery, which can be considered as a big con of this machine.
- 27 built-in stitches and 1-step buttonholes
- Basic Needle Threader
- LED sewing light
6. Singer 3229 Simple
It’s another well-designed sewing machine by the singer; the light green adds a glance to the whole appearance of the machine. It is named 3229 simple doesn’t know why, but it has 29 Built-in Stitches and an automatic buttonhole (4 steps).
The Singer Simple sewing machine is very compact in size with just 30cm width and 6.5kg weight. Have a look at some of its key specs below:
- 29 Built-in stitches with Adjustable stitch length & width
- Automatic buttonhole, easy threading
- Extra presser foot lifter
7. Usha Janome Excella Automatic Zig-Zag Sewing Machine
It’s another Usha sewing machine with automatic electronic functionality. The Usha Excella comes with thirteen built-in stitches, which can be controlled by the dial given on front. The designs & looks are kinds of classical type with sober colors.
Along with that, it also has nine additional applications like stretch stitching, button fixing, rolled hemming, satin stitch, zip fixing, and smocking to suit your needs.
- Lightweight and comes with a carrying handle.
- The free arm that can be removed and makes it more comfortable while sewing round or on collars etc.
- Thirteen stitches types with buttonhole
8. Singer Tradition FM 2250 Sewing Machine
The singer is a well-known brand of sewing machines, and it has been proving again and again with its high-quality products. The Singer FM 2250 sounds really promising with its much required included features.
It’s a good option to consider as it has rated quite well by the users who bought it online. It has one of the lightest machines ever with just six kilograms of weight; perhaps dimension wise it doesn’t have much compact design.
- Quick and easy threading saves time
- Easy stitch selection change stitches in one easy step
- One automatic four-step buttonhole no guesswork and just results
- Ten built-in stitches with one automatic 4 step buttonhole provide endless project possibilities
- Adjustable stitch length and zigzag width – keep seams strong and prevent puckering on any fabric type
9. Singer Promise 1408 Sewing Machine
Haven’t you satisfied yet with the above options? Here is another; let me tell you one thing It is one of the best-rated options with 4.3 ratings out of 5.0 on Amazon India. One can consider this buying if looking for a more budget-friendly option.
- Eight built-in stitches – Includes six fundamental, one decorative and one automatic and a 4-step buttonhole
- Straight forward threading path saves time
- The machine remains still for skip-free sewing with its heavy-duty metal frame
- Snap-on presser feet – Expand your sewing possibilities
10. Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine
Last but not least, the singer starts 1306 comes with six built-in stitches with a four-step buttonhole maker. It contains dual spool pins to support twin needle sewing.
Three presser feet to do a buttonhole, zipper, and an all-purpose foot. It has easy stitch selection with a large dial in front.
- Automatic Tension and Bobbin Winding System
- LED Sewing Space Light
- Extra-High Presser Foot Lifter
- Darning Plate for free-motion sewing
- 5mm Stitch Width
- 750 stitches per minute
Sewing Machine Buying Guide
When you are buying a sewing machine online or offline, you should always consider the following factors while comparing different brands. It’s most probably depends on personal requirements & needs; that’s why it becomes more critical to understand each function’s usage and needs.
Attachments & Additional Functions
Nowadays each modern sewing machine comes up with a wide range of features which you might not aware of. Let’s discuss all of these to have a better understanding of the latest technologies.
Needle Position Adjuster – It’s the function that allows the user to adjust the needle position either left or right to slightly change the stitching position. Using this, one can also change the cloth position with lesser efforts.
Needle Threader – Did you ever get tired of putting the thread into the needle? It’s a too difficult task for those who have weaker eyes. But using needle threaders, they can easily pull the thread from the eye of the needle.
Automatic Buttonholer – It allows the user to automatically making a hole for the buttons without getting much trouble. Those who regularly sew shirts or any clothes with buttons on them; then, it’s a must-have feature for them.
Presser Feet – It allows the user to do basic or zigzag sewing with the use of feet, but a more complex one also provides an option to buttonhole or gives more control over stitching, such as how tightly the fabric was held while sewing.
Speed Controls – The more speed controls a sewing machine would have, the more comfort it would provide with its speed adjustments. So, always take note of that.
Portable & Lightweight Design
Most probably, you’ll get all these features in an electronic sewing machine, but the noticeable thing is that they will have a lightweight & portable design. It’s the critical thing that you should always look for the weight & dimensions mentioned in the product descriptions.
Apart from that, the noise level should also be at optimum levels to make the operations at home comfortable for everyone. To ensure that we always recommend buying from the best sewing machine brands such as Usha or Singer instead of getting cheap deals.
I hope you have got all the points we tried to mention here and got the machine as per your desire. Still, If you have any queries left, you can feel free to ask us we’ll try our best to serve you.